Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sticking to a Schedule

As reported, I have a new baby.  She is 9 weeks old and is wonderful.  However, I have found that it is harder to keep her on a schedule than it was for my other kids.  Since TD and K are older, we are very active and not home during the day for T to take naps in her bed.  Luckily, she sleeps well in her car seat.  But the downfall is that she is still sleeping in a cradle in my bedroom at night.  Although this doesn't bother me, my husband has a hard time sleeping through her baby transition noises. 

A few weeks ago we had new windows and door installed downstairs so TD could move into that room.  He has been down there two weeks now and loves having such a large bedroom with his own bathroom.  T's bedroom has been set up with her crib and the plan was to have her take naps in there during the day so she could transition there at night.  Since we are not home consistently during the day, T has not been able to get used to her new bed and room.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yesterday, Big D's Aunt and Uncle came to visit.  Although Big D's father's family lives in Marietta, we rarely see them.  His Aunt and Uncle had never been to our home before yesterday.  Big D was very close to this particular Aunt and Uncle growing up and I know he would love to have a closer relationship to them now, so this visit meant a lot to him.  Ever since he and his father had a falling out three years ago, we have no relationship with Big D's father and step-mother. Mostly this is due to the actions and personality of the step-mother, but Big D has a lot of resentment towards his father for things that happened growing up.  I wonder at times if Big D was drawn to me because of the relationship I have with my parents and siblings, as his relationship with his parents and sister is poor to say the least. 

Last night we went to our good friends' house for a cookout. Usually at least once per month we get together with them and another set of good friends, as all the kids enjoys spending time together and the adults can gossip and have a few adult beverages.  As usual we had a great time and the kids were worn out.  This is also another reason why T was off her schedule, however.  She did not get to be until 10:30 last night, so after her early morning feeding, she didn't wake again until 10:30 this morning.  She really does great sleeping at night, and usually goes 12 hours with just one early morning feeding between 5 and 6 am.  If only I could keep her routine consistent during the day!

I am a strong follower of the Babywise series of books.  In fact that is how I came to start this blog.  I was inspired by Chronicles of a Babywise Mom.  It is a great blog about this parenting style and I encourage everyone to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment